Going back to the very beginning, if we think about 1998 and what a fundamental year it was, here are some highlights:
- If you are from Europe, then the Euro was introduced
- Microsoft became the biggest company in the world and released Windows 98
- Titanic won 11 Oscars at the 70th Academy Awards
- Google was founded as a simple search engine
- Amazon was just a web book shop
But back in February 1998, 5 people, Diane Greene, Ed Bugnion, Scott Devine, Mendel Rosenblum and Edward Wang created VMware
We have to understand how revolutionary the ideas created by the team were. We are talking about a time when it was standard to install a physical server for every function you had on your network. Most of those servers would be under-utilised just consuming power and doing nothing for most of the time. At the time it was usual to see CPU utilisation being around 1% - 5%.